It is important to hire top sales people who have a rich hands on experience in this field to accelerate your company’s sales to the next level within a short time period. May sound like a no-brainer, right? Even if you agree with this, we all know that attracting highly efficient and result oriented sales people is anything but easy. However, it is definitely possible to get it right if you move in a methodological way as you can definitely find the people who are committed to excel in sales and can take not only bring tons of business to your company, but will also motivate others in your sales team to perform.
A recent study has shown that around 57 percent of all sales recruiting efforts often lead to mis-hires. This means that while hiring sales personnel in any recruitment process, your company has 50 percent chance of making some sort of mistake and this can be really costly in sales. It may take you months to realize that you have hired an unworthy sales person who is unwilling to sell for your company. This can be a huge loss for you in terms of money and time.
However, you should not fear as you can easily avoid these mistakes while hiring sales personnel, as long as it is possible for you to recognize the possible pitfalls and can work in a proactive way to remove them.
Here we are listing few rules that can assist you in making top hires:
1. Understand your requirements- You should begin by developing a clear job description that identifies the experience and key skills you are interested in, the ideal candidate profile (farmer vs hunter), the selling environment, performance metrics for this sales position and the sales objectives. This many sound easy, but if these steps are skipped, then you may end with nothing to match the candidates against-and that’s a perfect recipe for disaster.
2. Sell the job-If you are interested in attracting the best talent, you should take time to develop and promote your company’s story, its vision, it’s USP. What strategies you have to win in the target markets? What incentives and growth opportunities you have for top performers? What characteristics make your business a great place to work? Are you offering just a sales job or a real big opportunity while hiring sales personnel?
3. Try to understand the traits and skills of real performers-Many sales managers often hire inefficient sales reps that are stereotypes of top sales rep. These managers feel that if any person can successfully sell himself in an interview, then he can become a top performer. Dead wrong! You should look for the following skills.
• Ego-Drive Probing
• Ego-Resilience Technical
• Conscientiousness Negotiation
• Service-Orientation Persuasion
• Motivation To Succeed Prospecting
• Detail-Orientation Organization
• Traits Skills
• Empathy Listening
4. Look at the right places- Even in this economy, all top sales people are already working and probably not looking, so how will you attract the top talent? Well, start by finding the names of top performers with your competitors by using your industry contacts, get referrals as most top hires come through people you already know. You can even target top reps working in companies that are selling the complementary items in your target markets.
5. Plan a rigorous hiring process- Devise a rigorous hiring process and stick to it. Hiring top talent required time, energy and commitment. You should build a right interview team, collect sales achievement history from all the candidates as all top performers usually have this information.
Hiring sales personnel that are top performers is not easy, but you can definitely achieve it if you are really committed to the growth of your company.